Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ramadan in Egypt - a "twisted" time of the year

Eating yes, but only at a certain place at a certain time
OTHERWISE: you might get arrested?


For many people here in Egypt, the holy month of Ramadan is a time where they can remember the essence of life by getting the opportunity to spend time with their closest and fast and pray to clean their bodies and souls.

However, for some people, Ramadan seems to be the one opportunity during the year, in which they can openly display their fundamentalist views and be highly rewarded for it. By "people" I don't just mean the angry looks by men and women on the street when you pass - and obviously look like a foreigner, i.e. "infidel". No, I also mean the government institutions.

A couple of days ago the Egyptian police cracked down on non-fasters in Aswan, where they arrested 150 people for publicly eating, drinking or smoking. Also, the governor of Hurghada - one of the top tourist destinations at the Red Sea- ordered all restaurants and cafes to be closed during daytime. All this happens even though there is no official law that says that you're not allowed to break fast publicly.

These are only a couple of the incidents that were reported.

Now, I have a question: Is the willpower of those fasting people really that weak that they wouldn't bear seeing somebody (may he/she be a Christian or just somebody who can't fast for health reasons or simply because he/she doesn't want to) have a sip of water on the street?

I am seriously confused.

Even though, the Egyptian government claims to be secular, they don't shy away from adhering to fundamentalist policies and imposing laws that don't even exist as such.

Ramadan for me, is the most stressful month of the year because this is the only time that I don't only get harassed by men on the street, but also.. by women.

Let me explain: I don't fast, simply, because I would faint a couple times a day and because I am not fully convinced by the general interpretation and implementation of Islam. Still, I try to dress modestly, cover my shoulders and knees and don't eat or drink or smoke in public.

Even though I'm making an effort not to step on anybody's toes, men look at me, and while I pass comment on my "tight" jeans, my open hair or my lower arms showing. Under their breath, they curse ME for making THEM break their fast.

Well, excuse me - but how am I supposed to control their thoughts and prevent them from having any sexual mind trips? I obviously haven't acquired that skill yet.

What's worse though, is that I have women on the street cuss at me and calling me slut or worse things in Arabic. Now, why is that I have asked myself? Jealousy? Sudden urge to openly display that they are better than me - maybe more holy? a "better" Muslim?

I haven't come to a conclusion, yet. But it seems, in Ramadan open discrimination and offensiveness are totally ok while having a sip of water on the street is unacceptable!

In that sense, "happy" Ramadan

No comments:

Post a Comment