Monday, September 21, 2009

Electo-meter Helps German Voters Make a Decision

From left to right: Angelica Merkel (CDU)- our current uncharismatic
yet pragmatic mommy of the nation ("We have the power"), Guido Westerwelle - top candidate of the liberal king maker party FDP, who is famous for his enthusiastic personality ("Work - has to be worth it again), Frank-Walter Stainmeier (SPD) - our current foreign minister with no edges or traits that I can remember ("Dig in. For our Country.")



I might not be living in Germany right now, but at the end of the day. I'm German (yes.. yes.. AND Egyptian - I know) and I do have the right to vote in the upcoming German parliamentary elections. However, when I started informing myself about what's going on back home, I was highly disappointed:

Candidates refusing to go on air for a television debate and a mock-candidate, the German version of Borat, is stealing everybody's show. Moreover, parties who announce that they won't work in certain coalitions - be it the Jamaica coalition or the traffic-light coalition- and the usual reality checks and empty promises. This election is one of the most boring ones I have ever seen. And to be honest: I would have a hard time making up my mind either.

And it seems, I am not alone. Recent polls show that around 40 percent of those surveyed are still undecided. 40 percent??? That's a hell lot of people. But I'm sure, just like me, their first go-to point will be the website of the "Wahlomat" or translated, the "Electo-meter."

The electo-meter is supposed to help undecided voters with their
decision - but is it the optimal solution?

I personally think it's funny to have a website tell you who you're most compatible with based on 38 statements that you agree with, disagree with or are neutral about. Next comes a prioritization list. This sounds to me like a dating service.

Here are some examples:
  • The German Army has to be withdrawn from Afghanistan immediately (Yes, No, Neutral)
  • Germany should withdraw from the European Union
  • Companies should decide over their managers' salaries
  • Your first degree should be for free
  • No animal tests
  • The re-introduction of the D-Mark.
etc. etc. and the list goes on and on.

At the end you prioritize your topic list and ta-taa! You get your result. Here is mine:





According to this electo-meter, my views coincide the most with all the parties on the very left side on the spectrum, who also happen to have absolutely no chance of being in the government.

Die Linke: is the old PDS. Led by Gregor Gysi, a very charismatic man, this party now owns 11 percent of the votes according to polls. However, it also has absolutely no chance of being in the government because neither of the big parties want to form a coalition with the most popular leftist party.

DKP: German Communist Party - Absolutely no chance!

Gruene: The Green Party - Neither the CDU/CSU wants to form a coalition with them, nor the FDP do. What's left is the SPD, but according to polls, the number of all votes together won't be enough to be in the government.

At the end of the day, the German democracy is not that different from the US electoral system: We have two big parties and those two parties can basically choose whoever they want in their coalition. And then of course, we have the king maker party, which in this case is the FDP (The Liberals).

The Wahlomat really didn't help me out that much, so I went back and checked on their website. I must have not seen it the first time, but it clearly states that it won't give you a recommendation for who to vote for but serves as an informative site for the elections and politics.

Gee thanks! So, where do we go from here, my fellow 40 percent?


Fact check:
- The Wahlomat has been used 4.332.335 times for this upcoming election.
- Around 40 percent of the German population is still undecided who to vote for, a week before the elections.
- Election weather next Sunday is predicted to be cold (around 10 degrees Celsius) but not too rainy.

No comments:

Post a Comment