Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hashish in Egypt - subculture or mainstream?

Smoking hash in Egypt has become normality and
so much more than a subculture (Picture: copyright Splifr)


When I first got to Egypt from Germany four years ago, I did not expect to find such a huge "subculture" of hash consumers. Over the years, I found that this is in fact not as much as subculture as it is a mainstream habit.

Most of the people that I'm surrounded by smoke up. Many of my friends, as well as cabdrivers, shop owners and business men and women. There really is no particular kind of person who is more apt to consuming hash.

However, this might be a generation appearance. Older people usually don't smoke up - at least not the ones in the city. With Bedouins, this is a different story. They don't have any age limits on smoking hash.

Anyways, from my observations, I would say that smoking hash is much more than a subculture in Egypt. I would almost estimate that about 60 percent of all Egyptians between the ages 16 and 35 do smoke up. But of course, this is just my own estimation.

Which leads me to my next question: why are they doing it? Smoking hash is obviously a way to feel indifferent to what is going on with and around you. The high, people get, creates a certain numbness and apathy, which many people consider a pleasant experience.

Unfortunately, this only works for the benefit of the Egyptian government. Because, even though the drug laws here are pretty strict, it is pretty easy for the normal Egyptian to get out of getting a jail sentence by distributing a little bribe here and there... everybody knows that.

I'm neither encouraging or discouraging the hash consummation, but I just find it peculiar that in a country like Egypt where so much is going wrong, a large portion of the population are taking drugs that will help them deal with the grievances in their immediate environment... Meanwhile, this country needs people who are aware and awake and ready to fight for their rights.

5 comments:

  1. Good observation, Jasmin! But I don't see it as strange. Though I'm neither encouraging or disencouraging hash consummation, but I think it is a normal response to the state of indifference that the government has already been creating.. well not normal but expected at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Jasmin! I hope you remember me. I am Viviany, from Brasil. I saw your blog adress on gtalk and found it really nice.
    Well, Brasil and Egypt, when talking about drugs are quite different. Of course it's ilegal, but many, many people use and everybody knows. It seems like, the more police takes drugs from the streets, the more they multiply. This is really incredible.

    Good luck in your next reports!
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you put it.I've never thought about it that way. I always thought "yeah people are smoking up who cares?" but yeah it does make a point when you relate it to what;s happening around and the dominant apathy. But it's just a small factor among many other things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you're talking about, Jaz! Most of my friends smoke up and I strongly discourage it. It messes up with your head on the long run... talk about wasting away your creativity yourself... it's sad that some teenagers think it's cool to smoke up... there's nothing to be proud of about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think legalizing hash in Egypt is the way to go...in all seriousness.
    I read an article on how California is trying to find ways to minimize its budget deficit. One way of approaching it is by legalizing marijuana and taxing its consumption. By taxing smokers a dollar a joint, they estimate that they can make 2.5 billion dollars annually in revenue!
    Keep in mind that California has a population of 36 million...Egypt, with a population of 80 million (give or take) could potentially generate an even greater revenue.
    And think of the impact i can have tourism too.
    I'm also not taking a stand against or for hash, all I'm saying is that since its already wide spread...we might as well use it to our advantage. And trust me....once it is legalized, the number of people that smoke it will decrease significantly...people always get a kick out of breaking the law :)

    ReplyDelete