Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Flashmob Obsession



This week, I became obsessed with the idea of flashmobs. Flashmobs are gatherings, where people meet at a certain time at a certain place, suddenly break out into some crazy action for five minutes and then leave again as if nothing has happened.

People did flashmobs in remembrance of Michael Jackson and other occasions. However, usually, people just do it for fun.

It is a very "Western" thing to do and has absolutely no purpose except for having fun and confusing people and give them something to talk about.

But why hasn't it happened in Cairo yet? I mean, this is a large city with a large population of young people and it would be a great way to irritate the oppressive government here, even if it's just for a couple of minutes.

What if, coincidentally 500 people would meet up on Tahrir Square and suddenly freeze in their motions for five minutes. Would police come and arrest you? Would you get beaten up?

As I'm wondering, I decided to organize one myself - but I have to admit that I'm too chicken to do it in a public place. However, it simply irritates me how good the government has done its job of intimidating people, that even I get freaked out.

It is indeed sad, if you think about it.

3 comments:

  1. that's amazing. If you start something like that I'm joining you for sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely like the concept. Get it started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hell yeah! I'm definitely in. I can help you get it started!
    Also, I wanna do something crazy @ AUC before I graduate... think pouring soap in the fountains n running away...
    p.s. You dunno me and i didn't say anything :P

    ReplyDelete